Cooking with honey is a delicious way to reap the health benefits of Mother Nature’s sweetener while also adding a unique flavour. We love this kitchen staple and want to help you discover new ways to have fun with it too!
First here are some helpful tips when using honey in cooking:
- Because of its high fructose content, honey is sweeter than your simple white sugar. This means you can use less honey than sugar to achieve the desired sweetness so when substituting honey for sugar in recipes, begin first by only using up to half of the sugar called for.
- To avoid a sticky mess when measuring honey, coat the measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil before adding the honey, and watch the honey slide right out.
Honey helps baked goods stay fresh and moist longer. It also gives any baked creation a warm, golden color.
Just make sure to follow these guidelines.
- Reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used, keeping in mind honey’s added moisture.
- To help with rising and as well as neutralize the acidity of honey. Add 1/2 tsp of baking soda for each cup of honey used.
- To prevent from over-browning, go low and slow. Simply reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees.